Here’s this week’s playlist with notes and start times [to facilitate listening via KUSP’s music show player]. If you haven’t heard, KUSP will be doing another mini fundraising drive soon, and though we’re not scheduled to pitch during Out Front, Outback, feel free to mention OFOB and/or other music shows you regularly enjoy. Also, consider making a pledge during a locally produced show… it makes a lot of difference to folks in your community who work hard to provide you with stimulating programming.
Cheers + keep those ears BIG!
Larry Blood – Host of Out Front, Outback: Presenting jazz and extensions as a living art form, with tradition a byword for music moving into the future. A KUSP-FM featured program serving California’s Central Coast since 1983, airing Tuesdays from 9:30pm to midnight PST.
OFOB playlists available to the right.
For a better navigation bar, listen via the kusp music show player at http://www.kusp.org/archive/102.html#
OFOB for 5/15/12: [circle bullets indicate new set]
• Vijay Iyer Trio- Bode- Accelerando- ACT music
o 3:53 Jesse Stacken- Bagatelle No. 1- Bagatelles for Trio- Fresh Sound/New Talent
• 7:54 Jesse Stacken/Kirk Knuffke- Celia- Orange Was the Color- SteepleChase
• 15:04 Alexander Von Schlippenbach/Manfred Schoof- Duolog- Blue Hawk- jazzwerkstatt [extending the horn/piano pairing, this piece takes things a bit deeper].
• 21:34 Brad Mehldau- Song Song- Songs: The Art of the Trio, Vol. III- WB [I understand Brad & company lived up to their reputation in their local show on May 16th at Kuumbwa. His trio work is a little more focused than his solo work, but w/plenty of depth.]
o 32:50 Brad Mehldau- Exit Music for a Film- Songs: The Art of the Trio, Vol. III- WB
• 37:11 Jimmy Rowles- Blood Count- Plays Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn- Columbia [something Billy wrote in his hospital bed shortly before he passed. Mournful but beautiful.]
• 41:27 Jay Hoggard/Anthony Davis- The Clothed Woman- Under the Double Moon- Pausa [dedicated to Duke Ellington & Lionel Hampton.]
o 49:03 Jay Hoggard/Anthony Davis- Under the Double Moon: Wayang No. 4- Under the Double Moon- Pausa [We played solo piano + large group versions of this A.Davis signature piece April 17piece, but failed to get to this piano/vibes version. Though I love the beautiful Chick Corea/Gary Burton ECM offerings, I think Anthony and Jay take it a bit deeper.]
• 60:10 Rob Brown Trio- The Upshot- Unknown Skies- Rogue Art [Craig Taborn opens this piece on piano, also featuring Nasheet Waits on drums. .. bass seems remarkably unnecessary on this live date. Rob remains one of my absolute favorite current reed players, and though it doesn't show quite as much on this piece, can do some serious Dolphy influenced alto sax + bass clarinet work.]
• 70:52 Jaki Byard- Sunshine- Sunshine of My Soul- Prestige [a great trio w/David Izenzon on bass (think Ornette Coleman's "Town Hall" + "Live at the Golden Circle") and Elvin Jones on drums should need no introduction. You probably know Jaki from his work with Charles Mingus (mostly Atlantic dates), but his career stood up on its own strength. Jaki is able to play masterfully across many piano styles, and is a fine composer in his own right. This an engaging melody which gives a taste of his depth.]
• 80:21 Eric Dolphy [w/Jaki Byard]- Far Cry- Far Cry- Prestige [Eric on alto sax.]
o 89:26 Jaki Byard [w/Roland Kirk]- Evidence- The Jaki Byard Experience- Prestige [Rahsaan on tenor.]
• 93:53 Eric Dolphy- Something Sweet, Something Tender- Out to Lunch- Blue Note [Eric on bass clarinet.]
• 99:56 (collective) [Eric Vloeimans/Alex Coke/Willem Breuker/Frank Van Bommel/Arjen Gorter/John Engels]- 245- The Compositions of Eric Dolphy- BvHaast [not just about Dolphy, this collective is not afraid to go into some of it's own areas in this 14+ minute piece. Eric- tpt, Alex + Willem - reeds w/Willem taking the lovely bass clarinet solo, Frank - piano
o 118:47 Matt Lavelle- You're the Tonic (for OC)- Goodbye New York, Hello World- Music Now! [Matt on bass clarinet + Ras Moshe on tenor sax + bass and drums. Worth all of it's 20 minutes!]
• 137:41 (Jacob) Anderskov Accident- Three Pieces of Wood (from “Post Industrial Stone Age”)- Full Circle- ILK Music [I love Jacob's wurlitzer work, plus he wields a great composing/arranging pen.]
o 149:30 Guy Klucevsek- Breathless and Bewildered- The Multiple Personality Reunion Tour- Innova [incidental music that kicks.]