Here’s the playlist for this week’s show. Note I probably won’t get a chance to add start times [for KUSP music player listening] or extensive notes because I’m working to get ready for our live/local-only broadcasts from the Monterey Jazz Festival Sept. 21-23. We should have some great programming for you, so I hope you’ll give a listen if you’re in the Monterey Bay area! Also note we’re still a little short of our monetary needs to support our broadcast efforts for MJF, and you can make a directed contribution via our website “support” button – be sure to mark it as toward the MJF broadcasts in your comments.
A lot of this show was inspired by the fact that Aram Shelton is bringing his quartet to MJF [Coffeehouse Gallery on Saturday afternoon] + two new Delmark releases: Josh Berman’s “There Now” + Fred Lonberg-Holm’s Fast Citizens date. Note this makes 3 Fast Citizens recordings… the same group for each, but with different leadership from within the group. An interesting concept + all represented in the show w/some great music! A strong group of up and comers from Chicago… I’ve highlighted *** them FYI [also including Ken Vandermark, though he's been around a little longer].
Note Greg Porter is playing MJF [Friday Night Club]… info about our MJF broadcasts coming soon to our website – kusp.org plus you’ll hear more on our jazz shows before the festival. We’ll be broadcasting most of the arena acts, though we did not get approval for Pat Metheny [his Unity Band + w/the Jack DeJohnette Special Trio], so some of our broadcast plans are not fully gelled. For more info about the festival in general visit montereyjazzfestival.org.
Some worthy guitar music also woven into the show… I hope you dig it!
Larry Blood – Host of Out Front, Outback
Presenting jazz and extensions as a living art form, with tradition a byword for music moving into the future.
A KUSP featured program since 1983, airing Tuesdays from 9:30pm to midnight.
home: 128 Anderson Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
KUSP-FM: 203 8th Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95062
firstname.lastname@example.org web address: kusp.org
OFOB playlists available at http://www.kusp.org/playlists/ofob/index.html
Listen to this show via http://www.kusp.org/archive/musicweek.html [changed weekly]
OFOB for 9/4/12:
- Josh Berman- Db- Old Idea- Delmark ***
- Josh Berman- Next Year B- Old Idea- Delmark ***
- Josh Berman & His Gang- One Train May Hide Another- There Now- Delmark ***
- Jazz Passengers- Plain Old Joe- Plain Old Joe- Knitting Factory
- Greg Porter- The Way You Want to Live- Be Good- Motema
- Sun Ra- Three Little Words- St. Louis Blues: solo piano- Improvising Artists
- Sun Ra Arkestra- Beautiful Love- Hours After- Black Saint
- Your Neighborhood Saxophone Quartet- A Bird’s Eye View of Man’s World- Plutonian Nights: the Music of Sun Ra- Coppens Music
- The Vandermark 5- Saturn- Free Jazz Classics, Vol. 1- Atavistic **
- Aram Shelton Quartet- Anticipation- Everything for Somebody- Singlespeed Music ***
- Aram Shelton’s Fast Citizens- I Am Here, You are There- Two Cities- Delmark ***
- Keefe Jackson’s Fast Citizens- Band Theme- Ready Everyday- Delmark ***
- Aram Shelton Quartet- Barely Talking- Everything for Somebody- Singlespeed Music ***
- Fred Lonberg-Holm’s Fast Citizens- Faster, Citizens! Kill! Kill!- Gather- Delmark *** [Fred's playing tenor guitar]
- Firehouse- Bright Lights, Clean Fights- Live at Glenn Miller Cafe- Ayler Records [strong guitar work by John Lindblom + featuring Frederik Ljungkvist + Magnus Broo from Atomic]
- Sandy Nassan- A House is Not a Home- Just Guitar- Embryo [solo guitar]
- Mary Halvorson Quintet- That Old Sound- Bending Bridges- Firehouse 12 [more guitar]
- Anderskov Accident- The Fourth K- Newspeak- Ilk Music
- Kalaprush Maurice McIntyre- Ram’s Run- Ram’s Run- Cadence Jazz Records
- Ken Filiano’s Quantum Entanglements- Beguiled- Dreams from a Clown Car- Clean Feed
- The David Boykin Expanse- Sunset- 47th Street Ghost- Dreamtime Records